Saturday, June 6, 2009

Back to the church sale...

So I went back to the church sale - and while I was picking through the books, they announced that it was one box of books for $1. Exciting! Well, so I thought. I grabbed the rest of the Golden Book encyclopedias that I had seen yesterday - 10 volumes, all to be chopped up for crafting - and then saw The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell (missing dust jacket), a "book for boys" with lots of pictures to chop up and reuse, and then a coffee table book called 24 Hours in Dekalb County (where I live). And then - OOOOH - The Sandman: Book of Dreams. Like, I was so ridiculously excited I almost called my friend about it.

I pay, then I wander the rest of the sale, then duck back into the book section and find The American Way of Birth and a book about the ritual of sitting down to dinner (I'll fill in the title later). The kid let me take them since I'd already bought my box (really a bag) of books.

So why no pictures? I'm still pouting. I got in the car afterward and my Sandman book? Damp - which I'd suspected - and starting to grow a light green mold. If nothing else, I don't want this book infecting my other books. So, sigh sigh, I put it directly in the recycle bin. And The American Way of Birth? Has speckles of brown mold on top, but doesn't seem to be to damp, so I may put it in the sun to see what happens (or maybe - seriously - use sandpaper on it), but I've also requested a copy from the library because I really want to read it (I started skimming it in the car and it's amazing). And the Wordy Shipmates is also vaguely damp. I mean, for an average of 6.5 cents per book, the financial loss is fine, but MAN I wanted to read these!

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment