Thursday, January 1, 2009

I love books - possibly too much

This blog is to keep track of all of the books that I purchase. Welcome.

Here's the situation - I'm pretty much addicted to books. Could be worse, right?

I love going to thrift stores, yard sales, and library sales - and buying books.

I love accumulating Amazon store credit in various ways (Swagbucks, mypoints (feel free to ask for a referral), and so on).

In addition, I absolutely LOVE Bookcloseouts.com and buy many books there.

And finally, I also like to support local independent businesses - both small used bookstores and full price stores (although in the end, I hate to pay full price for books!).

I wish I'd thought of this sooner - but I'll go back as far as I can and then going forward will keep track here, both in pictures and in text.

Edited to add: I started this blog on 3/28/09. Therefore all posts before that date may only include titles and not images, prices, or witty commentary. I think, however, that it is largely complete going back to the beginning of 2009 at this point. I was able to piece together my purchases using my posts to the "Thrift Whore" livejournal community, posts to a personal (and private) blog, and Delicious Library.

A note about Delicious Library. I love this program. I have about 99% of my book collection cataloged through it as of the end of March 2009 (over 1400 books and counting). I highly recommend it to any Mac user who wants to catalog a book or media collection. Poke around the web for a half-price code first, and then buy it. Worth $20 by far, and I get nothing for saying this.

Types of books you'll see over and over again:
Ridiculous old cookbooks - especially ones with funny titles, covers, or pictures
Gorgeous newer cookbooks - especially ones with beautiful art or design
Vegetarian cookbooks
Food writing of any kind
Travel essays
Books about medical things
Children's books (I have one child)
Books about motherhood/parenting/birth that lean toward the "crunchy"
Literary essay collections

No comments:

Post a Comment